so a few weeks ago DB's grandpa (who has been in a nursing home for a few years and had diabeties, was 82, etc) was sent to the ICU because things had spiraled out of control - kidneys failing, all that good stuff. DB called me at my part time, evening job (which he never does) and told me through his tears. I left work immediately and he came and picked me up. When I asked him where he was he hesitated and said "on hwy 169..." sheepishly. I asked why and he said "don't worry about it." then i figured out that up 169 is where the jewelry store that we picked out that ring is! AH! we spent the day at the hospital and that night DB told me he was in the parking lot when his mom called him. MAN! We spent the next day with his Grandpa and family and then his status improved so we went home.
A couple nights later, DB was being super cute and antsy and he wouldn't tell me why. But he pressured me to ask questions (fine...twist my arm!) and I found out that he had gone and picked out the diamond and put money down on the ring as a whole. and he was BURSTING at his seams with pride and excitement. it was SO cute. I cried, of course.
His Grandpa continued to get better and then two weeks later (last Friday) they sent him back to the nursing home because he was going downhill again and he didn't need the hospital so he went back to where he was comfortable. We went to see him this past Sunday night and he was even responding to us (come to find out we were the last ones he talked to) and he passed away Tuesday morning.
DB is BESIDE HIMSELF. I never thought he'd be this torn up. I feel SO horrible - and hate seeing him in so much pain and hurting so much. We'll spend the weekend with his (big) family and be at the funeral events Sunday and Monday. He went to the funeral home Tuesday while I was at work and apparently everyone was asking him about when we were getting married (he's hardly ever with his family without me).
This has also brought up to me the issue of honoring passed grandparents at the wedding. I had never really thought of it because this was his first grandparent to pass and I don't have any still alive (none of which I really knew or were close with). But now that I know how close he was to his Grandpa, we'll surely figure something out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
So sorry for his loss! I hope he is coping better with it all now!
Post a Comment