Hair & Make Up Trial

4.23.2010

To be honest - I was really nervous about this part of the wedding planning. I've never considered myself a super girly girl in the hair and make up realm. I have wash-n-wear curls that I hardly ever mess with and I wear the exact.same.makeup every.day. Although I'm girly in a lot of other ways and would never leave the house without my hair decent and at the very least - mascara on...I just don't do well when it comes to looking overly gorgeous - and I dont understand how people are.

The day started with a minor crisis because I lost a contact! oh, the horror. Actually - yes. I have been on my last pair of contacts for about 3 months now (I know, I know...) and they were killing me, so I'd been wearing my glasses (circa 2002 and so over them) for the last 4 weeks. Oh, and I'm totally blind without anything. So I seriously didn't want to be wearing my glasses the day of the trial so I purposely went to the eye doctor a few days before in order to get new contacts. While putting them in that Saturday morning, I had one on my finger and was excitedly telling DB about how they are blue tinted to you can easily find and see them. Then I said something that caused me to blow the contact off my finger. awesome. we couldn't find it by the time I had to rush to work - and off I went in my glasses. Luckily, I have an amazing man who continued searching for it and eventually found it hanging on for dear life to the door frame...go fig....crisis averted.

So I was a good hair trial bride and washed my hair the night before per Amy's suggestion and got my face all nice and clean after working a shift the morning of. Oh yeah - my hair. It's super naturally curly, right? And when you straighten it - it's not like normal straight hair. But Amy said it'd probably be best to work off of the straight hair - so I straightened it and hoped that it'd magically turn into beautiful cause usually it doesn't do much other than be straight when I blow it out.

Now - let me tell you about Amy of Makeup Ready, because I'm quite proud of this find. I happened to see her featured on a local vendors blog (follow your local vendors! you find good finds!) and then worked out a deal with her for a complete barter. I get hair and makeup services on location plus a trial from Amy while Nick makes Amy a website. YAY - everyone wins! Nick's worked hard on putting together a website for her and I plugged in some marketing lingo and bam! She's so much fun and I kind of want her to be my bff - so naturally, we had a lot of fun at the trial.

She set up camp on my kitchen table and got to work.

First up - make-up.
I didn't really know what I wanted here other than fake eyelashes (mmm) and dramatic eyes. She did her thing, the make-up felt good on my face and it looked great too! yay! the only thing I'm changing for the day of is that the eyeliner be a bit thicker/dramatic. Other than that - easy peezy.



Next up - hair.
I was really afraid of what my hair would or wouldn't do and all I knew that I wanted was something relaxed looking and not prom-like, stiff hair and curls. OK. So we went with a low chignon (sp?)/bun-type thing. I also knew I wanted a bit of height on top because I didn't want it to look plastered back. And I had to have the safety blanket of my grown out bangs swept across my face. So we started with this...



While this wasn't horrible - it was a bit too manufactured prom curls for me. Girls with naturally curly hair are snobs about curls - trust me. :) Anyway, so I was all "yeah, this needs to be more relaxed and stuff back here - but the front's good!" So we went back to adjust the chignon/bun and ended up with something much too "bun-ish" and I was all "no, no...more piecy not just one solid bun." And we concluded, both very happily, on this...


Now, really - this was after two adjustments. But it's the look I'm going for. She said the day of - when it's done straight from the get go - the front going back into the chignon and the chignon itself will be more piecy. I LIKE PIECY. :) So yay - I'm happy.

More pics...





And later that night....




And thus ends the hair and makeup trial. It was fun and I was pleased with how my hair did. I'm excited to see it all together on the day of!

5 comments:

Nicole-Lynn said...

You look gorgeous! I love how the hair and makeup both turned out!! Yey! You would also look great with some highlights so when your hair is up it doesn't look so dark in the front. I feel like when I have highlights it just makes my flace glow and I feel so much better. But either way you are going to be one gorgeous bride! Yey! :)

Almost Her said...

Nicole - yeah, I totally didn't get in to get my hair done before the trial! I was bummed but was obviously in major need of some blonde. :) Don't worry - I got it done the next week before e-pics and I'll be nice and blonde for the big day. hehe :)

Cupcake Wedding said...

pretty pretty makeup

Nicole-Lynn said...

I wanna hear and see more!!! :) Hope all is well!

fit to be tied said...

Liking the bun you figured out!

Post a Comment

 
◄Almost Her. Design by Pocket►