A lot of the pressure I feel is because we want a short engagement. That makes me not want to waste any more day with out a deposit down and decision made on many things. So many venues and people are already booked for our timeframe – I feel the need to get a lot of things done yesterday!
So this past weekend I frantically emailed a friend of mine who is a wedding planner in Ohio to ask some advice. My main problem is finding a reception venue because it's so hard to compare apples to oranges! Everyone has different things included in their prices and I'm having a hard time keeping them all straight.
So here's what she told me - it may help someone else out!
Try and come up with a Per Person price for each venue.
- So this is what you probably do need/want:
- Sit down meal - for figuring sakes, go with a simple chicken dish from each venue
- Bar - typically a 4 hour bar is plenty, bottom level
- Champagne pour - preferably for all guests
- tables/chairs
- Cake service
- Linens - most places will give you basic linens (not floor length - that is an upgrade)
- Find out what the extras are:
- what is their service charge - typically 20% of the food and beverage cost...is there any other fees associated with the service staff
- what is their tax fee
- do they have a security fee
- do they have a cake cutting fee
- What time can people come in to setup - do you have the entire day of the wedding?
- is there a bartendar fee or is that included in the bar charges?
Those quidelines and questions helped me think a bit more clearly - because frankly - I was bit overwhelmed with all the information!
Tricia also gave me a deadline - which was helpful. We're planning a May wedding which means I need to get moving - so I promised her I'd have my main 5 biggies in stone before Christmas - church, reception, photographer, vidoegrapher, florist, musicians. Here we go!

2 comments:
Great information, thanks! How exciting everything is happening so quickly! Take time to enjoy it :)
Thanks for following my blog! Wish I had a chance to update more... I'm terrible at it!
Congrats on your engagement. Lots of good info here so far. The wedding planning process is a complicated one at times, but try to remember to enjoy it:)
Post a Comment